Friday, February 6, 2009

TGIF

Happy is at the vet getting "tutored" today; he drooled extensively in my lap en route to the vet's, leading to a somewhat embarrassing "look" for me by the time I got to school. Fortunately, my lightweight pants dried quickly, so I didn't have to go to the gym and find a hot-air dryer!  We are hoping that Happy (aka Mr. Chunky-butt) will get on an animal transport van to New Jersey, where there is a waiting list for pups.

Oh, to live in a place that actually enforces leash laws. And where people are responsible enough to neuter their pets.

Well, maybe not New Jersey....

Been having lots of good discussions at work lately about department matters:  what's the role of reading in college writing classes? what should the relationships be among first-year comp (fyc), the intro lit course, and the introduction to the major course? Given that we have a composition faculty that's diverse in rank, in training, and in philosophy, how (much) can we encourage common goals, procedures, expectations?  They're difficult questions, but engaging to talk about. 

Almost wrote "fun to talk about," but stopped myself, because "fun" isn't correct. It's better than fun, and harder than fun. I'd like students to get that distinction and stop settling for "fun."


No comments:

Post a Comment